Tuesday, August 18, 2015

AMIIBO Training Guide (Amiibo Self Training Method)


AMIIBO Training Guide

I've had a lot of people ask me how I train my amiibos and I'm not so sure people will agree with my method but it works and I will tell you why. My training method may seem lazy to some but that wasn't my intention for doing it. My method involves training an amiibo up to a certain point and letting the amiibos do the rest of the work. I'm not going to sit here and say I'm a Smash Pro at the game, I've watched a lot of tournaments and I know I will never be close to that level. Though I'm not on their level, I do understand what makes the characters strong and what moves to focus on when training each character individually. In the past, I tried the training methods where people say to train them vs a bot for the first few levels then spot train them to 30 then switch through your best characters etc.. When I did these methods, a lot of my amiibos turned out good but some of them turned out awful... They would spam the same move over and over and were all around terrible, I then started putting research into what makes amiibos spam moves and I realized... It's because they are getting rewarded for it. If an amiibo keeps landing the same move on you... why do they need to use any other ones? Keep one thing in mind about amiibos, if they find a way to punish an opponent and know all they need is the one move to do so, they will use it until it doesn't work anymore. I'm not a pro at dodging every attack, so when I'm getting hit with some of these moves, I can't help it, I'm human... So what's the best option in this situation? Train them with another amiibo... or two.... or three. I've learned that amiibos learn more from landing attacks then they do from watching a player use them. If they try something you do and don't land it, chances are they aren't going to use it. I find that training an amiibo from 1-50 yourself is ineffective and a waste of time, all you have to do is give them a strong core skill set and allow your other amiibos to enhance their reflexes and reading capabilities. You have to understand the amiibo and what makes them strong to insure they will turn out well rounded and effective, dittoing them to 50 actually does more harm than good imo. My Character Specific Guides May Help With That.

THE TRAINING METHOD

Step 1: Take them into a 1v1 setting with the same character as the amiibo, starting at level 1.This is where you will teach them everything you want them to know. Focus Grabbing and Pummeling/True Combos/Tilts/Smash Attacks/Aerials... The Works. You will continue this process until you get the amiibo to about lvl 15-20. After doing this you will switch your attention over to 3 other level one amiibos and do the same process, stopping at lvl 15-20. You want them all to be the same level. PS- If they get behind a lvl or 2 in the training process, it's no big deal. It isn't going to have a major impact on their training. Some will level quicker than others because they are staying alive longer. (If you don't have four amiibos, this training method isn't going to be effective. It has to be an even number, you could even do this with 6 or 8 if you really wanted to.)

Step 2: Once you have trained your amiibos up to the level you want them to be at, whether it be 15 or 20, you will then take your hands off the controller and allow your amiibos to do the work. Why you ask? Because now the amiibos will take what you taught them in your ditto matches and attempt to apply it vs the other amiibos. Why is this effective? Because this is where they will learn the most effective combos, the strongest attacks and improve their reflexes and abilities to read an opponent. Amiibos have enhanced AIs, allowing them to shield and dodge almost anything you throw at them. Since they can shield and dodge so easily, the chances of an amiibo spamming one attack is slim to none. The reason you want the amiibos to be the same level as you train them up is so they can actually land the skills and combos you taught them. Placing them vs a level 50 amiibo will be just as ineffective as training them yourself and trying to go ham because if they are getting obliterated, they aren't really learning anything, they are just gaining levels. DO NOT use only omega stages. You want stages with platforms so it's easier for the amiibos to land aerials. Omega stages take away from this.

Step 3: I suggest doing Four Amiibos at a time because your goal will be to cycle them. Uneven numbers will not work. Have 2 of them 1v1 eachother, then have the other 2 do the same thing. After this you will place them in a 4 Man Free For All or Team Match. The reason for the Free For All/Team is to give them more opportunities to land skills they may not be able to land in a 1v1 setting. This way they can strengthen their kill options and aerial arsenal to use later when their reflexes have improved due to leveling up. After doing this, you will want to cycle them to 1v1 each other amiibo in this training session. After each rotation, throw in a Free For All/Team as well. You will do this all the way to level 50. (If you want, you can throw in item matches also. I suggest only using fair items, such as boomerang, laser sword, healing items etc.)

Step 4: Your amiibos are now level 50, so it's time to hone their skills. Put them in a match with your strongest amiibo. I usually have them face my Mario in a timed match for 5 mins. It helps them to up their reflexes. I've definitely noticed changes in their abilities to read after doing this, so I really do believe it's effective and helpful. Then you will cycle in other amiibos with differing playstyles to help them get used to fighting in different situations. It helps make them more well rounded in case you plan to use them in an amiibo tournament. If your amiibo does poorly vs another amiibo, have them fight it again. Amiibos will improve the more they fight a difficult opponent, typically getting to a point of being a fair fight, unless it's just a terrible match up.

Step 5: Using this method you may have had issues with certain amiibos not charging spells. You can fix this by taking them into a ditto match yourself and spamming full charged ranged spells on them. Spot training will always have an effect if you see some imperfections in one of your amiibos. Make sure characters like Lucario know what to do in rage mode and Rosalina knows how to use Luma. You may have to spot train some of them at higher levels as well.

After these five simple steps your amiibo should turn out well rounded and not spam abilities. I suggest if you plan on fighting them at level 50, make sure you cycle amiibo vs amiibo fights. Placing them against same level amiibos helps insure they won't start spamming one move. Once again, do not place a low level amiibo vs a level 50 amiibo. This is another way they can become spammy, other than you fighting them yourself. Keep in mind they may not turn out perfect using this method, some may require extra training and even in amiibo vs amiibo fights, they will gravitate toward one move if it allows them to rack up damage.. This will never change, One fight they may spam F Air as a way to keep spacing and rack up damage... Another Fight they may Grab Relentlessly because they are scared of getting counter attacked. Amiibos will never be MLG Status, you have to understand they are built to punish and may use uninteresting methods to do so no matter what you do or how you train them. 

PROS TO THIS METHOD:
  • Quick and Effecient
  • Insures They Wont Spam Skills 
  • Will Be Stronger vs Other Amiibos
  • Enhanced Reflexes/Reading Capabilities
  • Allows You To Multi-Task
  • Can Train Multiple Amiibos At Once
  • Your Amiibos Become More Well Rounded
CONS TO THIS METHOD:
  • Boring For People Who Want To Fight Their Amiibos
  • Some Amiibos Need Extra Training After Using This Method (Rosalina/Lucario)
  • Ranged Amiibos Don't Seem To Charge Projectiles Until You Spot Train Them At Higher Levels
  • They May Not Turn Out Flashy or Exciting To Watch

MY EXPERIENCE

I personally use this method, I have had my lvl 50 amiibos fight each other from lvl 15 all the way up and most of them have fought 100's of matches. These amiibos are still well rounded with me rarely ever fighting them myself. It was all in the base skill set I started them with and they took it and ran with it. I find my amiibos entertaining to watch still to this day, they don't derp very often at all and most of them are pretty evenly matched with matches going either way. Some amiibos will be weak in certain match ups regardless of how well you train them so you just have to keep that in mind.

21 comments:

  1. I just want to know what to do if the amiibos don't level up along side each other. I train all my amiibos to 20, and then start 1v1 and teams. sometimes, mario gets to level 22, but luigi gets to level 21. donkey kong is level 21, but bowser stays level 20. what do i do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just want to start them all together, they are gonna out level in some situations. It's fine. I think if they die early, they will get a little behind in exp. Just keep doing the same method all the way up. They are still close enough together in lvls that it won't have a major impact.

      Delete
  2. I like this guide. I use it all the time. One suggestion I would like to add is to use the Bouncy Method + Amiibo 15 method on all the amiibos once they are level 50. It seriously helps.

    My Captain Falcon played very bad. It was like how you described him in the Captain Falcon guide, but only worse. He even would keep spamming Falcon Punch all the time even though I never taught it to him. I used the Bouncy Method + Amiibo 15 thing on him after he was level 50 and now he is an absolute beast. He would do things you would expect a stylish Falcon to do. He lands knees, he does down throw combos, he utilizes his aerials the same way any human Falcon would, and he can even spike if you train him to. Like you said, the Falcon Punch is hard coded into Falcon. Doing so makes him do it much much less. Even if he does get punished for it, his amazing skill will easily turn the game around.

    The method I described just turned my shitty Falcon into one of my best amiibos. He can even go head to head with my Mario amiibo, who is always on the winners side of the tournaments I host.

    I will try to test this method on a lot of the low tier amiibos who always spam the same move, such as Pikachu. I will also try it on Samus and Donkey Kong to see if they will improve. I will also repeat it on Falcon to see if I can get him to stop Falcon Punching all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typically if they are struggling to land the skills you trained them to use, they turn to the skills you didn't teach them to do. I think thats a big reason he uses Falcon Punch. My Falcon does pretty well and doesn't use Falcon Punch that much without that method but I've noticed if he actually lands one, thats where the problems come in. So far I haven't had any need for using that method because my amiibos don't really spam anything other than Pikachu which I don't think you can fix currently. But if you figure something out, let me know. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! I just want to know if there are amiibo teams that are better than other.

    For example,

    My Mario amiibo has always been teaming with my Luigi Amiibo.

    If I set my Mario amiibo in a team with someone he has never teamed with, then which team would be better?

    Would the Mario & Luigi team get better results since they've always been teaming with each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe specific teams learn to work together. I think all amiibos work the same with every amiibo they get matched with. It's very common even if they've never teamed before that amiibos will follow up off their teammates throws and even f smash an opponent that's locked in a grab. I'm pretty sure it's coded into them to work the same with all teammates. Some will just be better based on how well their play styles mesh and some play styles are going to clash and be ineffective.

      Delete
  4. Would this strategy still work for only 2 lvl 1 amiibo? I'm wondering what would happen if I trained my Mario and Luigi up to 30-35 and then had them face lvl 50's that I already had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that maybe 2 amiibos might not be as effective because they won't get the FFA/Team experience, which in a lot of ways allows them to land moves they may not be able to land in 1v1's. I think that if you train them just against eachother to the 50 range, it will require a little more work to get them to a strong place and they will need to grind a few matches against different amiibos to be truly effective. Sorry for the late response. :/

      Delete
    2. I think that maybe 2 amiibos might not be as effective because they won't get the FFA/Team experience, which in a lot of ways allows them to land moves they may not be able to land in 1v1's. I think that if you train them just against eachother to the 50 range, it will require a little more work to get them to a strong place and they will need to grind a few matches against different amiibos to be truly effective. Sorry for the late response. :/

      Delete
  5. There aren't really any positives to using a 50 amiibo to help train up other amiibos because a 50 amiibo will destroy them and won't get much benefit from the matchup. The more you place a 50 amiibo vs a low amiibo, the more slack they will become adapting to that characters playstyle and it will make them worse as well as the one you are training. I don't think it's a great idea to train them that way. Once you get them up to 50, it's ok to fight them against eachother, maybe even the 40-45 range but idk about 30-35, they are still pretty weak at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's your opinion on feeding amiibo equipment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's something that is a must if you plan on using them in tournaments but I personally do not feed equipment. I like having my amiibos bare bones and having them fight eachother using their basic skill set. It's a better way to judge who is better/worse imho.

      Delete
  7. How should I train my mario if I only have 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://amiibodojo.com/ is more focused on training amiibos hands on, so go check him out! My training method is meant for 4 or more amiibos.

      Delete
  8. Can you make a list of the specific stages to avoid using when training any amiibo? that way I know which ones to leave on and off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recoveries/AI on moving platforms has been greatly improved upon so a lot of stages I avoided are probably okay to use now. Back in the day when the AI wasn't the best at recovering, some of the stages caused SD's. Any stage that had moving platforms, they would just stand on them as they exited the stage and die.

      Now, I would suggest not using any stages that the amiibo may get stuck underneath. If they platform isn't angled at the bottom and it's just a straight horizontal line underneath, there is a chance they will get stuck under it and die sometimes.

      I also avoid stages that have a lot of hazards, like the F-Zero Map and the Meta Knight Ship. I don't really feel like the random zone hazards make the matches fair, because anyone could get caught in those at any time, and amiibos aren't smart enough to know to avoid them. So basically they are getting random disadvantages for no reason.

      If you need me to, I can make a list of the maps I personally use when I get a chance.

      Delete
  9. What should I do if my Amiibo is underperforming lately ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typically if my amiibos start to underperform, I put them against really good amiibos until they even out or start beating them consistently. Amiibos are built to adapt, so it's a good option.

      Delete
  10. I have a major question. Is this training guide ok?


    Levels 1-50
    Mirror match your amiibo constantly on stages like battlefield, big battlefield, animal crossing (both stages), lylat cruise, duck hunt stage, etc. Make sure instead of crushing the amiibo with combos, correct the amiibo's mistake by constantly punishing its mistake. Also make sure to true combo.

    50+: This is when the real things start. First, before you do anything, make sure that the amiibo can beat the character you are mirror matching with. Then, make it go against a flexible, fast, or light character (pit), a heavy, ground control character (bowser), and your main in a 10 stock match. Afterwards, do the same with every other character, and make sure it can beat you. Afterwards, make it go against level 9 cpus and your own amiibos (or a friends).

    This is my training guide! Is this a good way to train my amiibo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot! NO ITEMS (unless you are having fun!)

      Delete