Wednesday, July 15, 2015

FOX Amiibo Guide



FOX
WEAK TIER


I have not struggled with any amiibo as much as I have with Fox. I have tried so many different strategies to make this amiibo good and almost all of them have failed. I have a theory why he just isn't a good amiibo. There are 4 important things I talk about when looking at amiibo vs amiibo fights that I feel are crucial for them to beat their opponents. These 4 things are Kill Throws, True Combos, Counters and Lingering Hitboxes. Almost every amiibo in the game has atleast one of these things, Fox has 0. Fox has a down throw into forward air combo but it doesn't land on all height types and I don't think it always lands period. His throws are weak, he doesn't have a counter and the only lingering hit box he has is his jab which isn't always the best option because he may start spamming it. Fox is the spammiest amiibo in the whole lot. He will spam jab, he will spam forward air, he will spam down smash, he will spam lasers. Fox is really hard to train without him developing some sort of bad habit. I've literally reset him 5  times and even though he's not spamming now with my current training method, he just doesn't have the skill set to consistently beat amiibos. This amiibo for me has sat at the bottom of my tournament rankings since the beginning and he still has barely made any progress. Fox doesn't have a lot of options for punishing shields other than shielding an attack himself and smash attacking. That is literally the only effective strategy I've seen this amiibo use. His smash attacks are good, but he struggles to land them and their range puts him in dangerous positions. If you like Fox, and you want him to be good, I suggest feeding him equipment and custom moves. I'm currently retraining him again after being given some pointers on what to focus on. I've put him through the works to try and make him work and I have seen some improvements, but I think he will always struggle against top tier amiibos. I think he will always be middle of the pack at his best and typically score low. I think most amiibos are better than this one, he just requires to much work to be effective. But hey, if you love Fox, you can make it work.

PROS:
  • Great Recovery
  • Can Juggle with Up Tilt
  • Smash Attacks Are Very Strong
  • Can Reflect Attacks
  • Lasers rack up damage
CONS:
  • No Kill Throw
  • Weak Grab Options
  • No True Combos
  • Squishy
  • Can become very spammy
  • Short range can put him in a lot of bad situations
  • Struggles vs Rangey Opponents
  • Very difficult to play/train properly
TRAINING MUSTS:
  • He has to grab and pummel often, this is important for Fox to rack up damage
  • Utilize his aerials, show him he can kill with up air and back air
  • Neutral air is a great option for racking up damage
  • Utilize all smash attacks, especially up and down smash, they are less laggy than forward smash, be careful with his down smash, he can become spammy with it
  • Make sure he uses his lasers at far range, can rack up a lot of damage with them
  • Try to teach him to shield an attack and kill with up smash
  • Down throw into forward air is a combo he uses even though it doesn't always land
  • Teach him to juggle with up tilt at low percents
  • Most of his combos aren't reliable in amiibo fights because they are started from tilts and amiibos shield tilts very often
  • Utilize his reflector, he will use it to reflect projectiles pretty well
  • Utilize his jab, it lingers and can rack up a decent amount of damage. Use this sparingly or he will spam it



5 comments:

  1. One problem my Fox amiibo had was always trying to Down Throw. No matter where he was, he would always down throw whenever he was. Even if he was near the ledge he would down throw.

    I came up with a small Fox training guide that could hopefully help everyone else's Fox become better than what it already is. I believe the Fox that came out of this is a lot better than the other Fox's that came out when I was training him.

    What I did was from Level 1 through 10, I would always fight him with 3 stocks. Each stock would depend on how I play.

    For the first stock, I would focus on teaching him setups into Up Air. I also included Up Tilt juggling, which could also lead into Up Air. I would kill him with an Up Air on this stock.

    For the second stock, I focused on racking up damage and killing with all Smash Attacks. I mainly focused on Up Smash, and Down Smash. I would sometimes do Side Smash.

    For the 3rd stock, I would utilize his Down Air, his Back Air, and his Neutral Air to rack up damage. I would also teach him to always use the throw that will send the opponent off the ledge. Once they're off the ledge, I would kill him with a Back Air.

    From Levels 10 - 20, I would change my playstyle each game.

    For one game, I would focus on tilts, grabs, and aerials. I would rarely smash attack. I would approach with Nair, rack up with Dair, and kill with Uair and Bair. I would also teach him lead ups into different aerials like I did in the first stock from Level 1 - 10. A few examples are Dash Attack into aerial, Up Tilt into Up Air, and edge guarding with Back Air after I send him off the ledge after Forward Throw and Back Throw. I would also do a few bits of fast fall Back Airs.

    In the other matches. I would focus on tilts and smash attacks. In this match, I would always try to use the best options that would lead into smash attacks. I taught him different lead ups, and how to kill with it.

    I switched playstyles after every match.

    However, even after just like you said, he would always spam Forward Air even though I never used that move when I trained him. Overall, he has turned into a decent amiibo that is great for rushing down. I never used his laser because he learns it himself. I feel like if I do, he would start spamming it.

    My only hope left is that he gets punished a lot whenever he uses his Fair, that he stops using it.

    Cheers, and I hope that we can get a G&W, ROB, and Duck Hunt guide soon! Also, are you going to be getting the Mii amiibos from Japan and training them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried everything to make Fox work and he just isn't on par with the others. Sure he can win here and there but he isn't consistent.

      I am definitely getting all the smash amiibos and training them. I haven't seen any great deals for mii fighters yet so I may wait on them but if I see a good deal on eBay I will grab them. Thanks for the guide here, maybe it could help someone. Fox isn't on my priority list right now but I may try some of your advice if I train him again. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I have actually had lots of success with Fox. Maybe it's because I gave him another edge guard tool?

      Delete
  2. My Fox doesn't really spam all that much. And is quite consistent in winning matches against my other Amiibos, all which I've either trained myself or had CPUs do it. He's a bit happy to use the explosive shield I gave him, but other than that, he fights almost exactly like me: Combos into smashes up close, Meteor smashes off-stage, buster at a distance. Really not sure why you had so many issues with him. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use equipment/stat boosts, so that could be why.

      Delete