Wednesday, July 8, 2015

MARIO Amiibo Guide



MARIO
VERY STRONG TIER


This amiibo is easy to train, the level 9 bot is amazing, you could basically train him off the level 9 bot and he'd turn out awesome. There is a big problem with mario though that's his damn recovery. Mario amiibo SD's a lot in FFA/Team Matches and I don't really know a fix for this (Maybe a Custom). He used to have a problem with air dodging at the ledge and falling too low to recover, I think this was patched. If you can keep him on stage and you don't train your amiibos to go for a lot of off stage gimps then he will be the absolute thing of nightmares for any amiibo he faces.(I Personally don't train them to off stage gimp, I did in the past and it caused more problems for me than it was worth. I had amiibos trying to down air with high %'s and killing themselves for no reason.) Mario is without a doubt the best 1v1 amiibo. His combos, his aerials, his cape and his fireballs on top of all that speed is just too much for most amiibos to handle. He's so good that I hope for him to get defeated, it's exciting when he gets beat because it's so rare. He racks up damage like crazy then grabs, pummels, and backthrows them to their death. It's nasty and there isn't a lot of counter play to it. His aerials have almost 0 lag so it's easier for him to punish shields without worrying about getting caught in a punish. 1v1s he is the golden boy, but in team matches and 3-4 mans he struggles a lot more. Mario has potential to be hit or miss in FFA/Team Matches, but 1v1's are where he really has the tools to be a terror. He's easy to train, he's reliable and he gets the job done. His weakness aren't as bad as they used to be because of patches. My Mario has won an Amiibo Wars Championship and has held the top spot in the rankings for a while. I rely on him more than any of them to help train my newer amiibos and I think Mario is definitely a great addition to your collection. I just think his Team/FFA weaknesses/Weak recovery keep him from being "Overpowered".

PROS:
  • Easy to train, don't have to be good at Mario to make him great
  • Kill throw
  • Racks Up Damage Fast
  • Very quick and hard to get away from
  • 1v1 terror
  • True Combo
  • Great Aerials have almost 0 lag
CONS:
  • Bad Recovery, Can be gimped easily
  • Struggles in Team/Free For All matches
  • Water gun is worthless on the amiibo
  • Can get in a habit of spamming down smash
TRAINING MUSTS:
  • Focus grabs and pummeling
  • Teach him to kill with his back throw
  • Use Fireballs at far range and when you are falling back down to the stage.
  • Use Fireballs to harrass off stage
  • Teach him to kill with all Smash Attacks
  • He has many true combos, down throw into f air/up air/up b
  • Can juggle with his up tilts
  • Do NOT spam Down Smash, he will get stuck in that habit
  • Utilize all aerials
  • Teach him to spike with Forward Air over the ledge
  • Use the cape to counter projectiles
  • Also use cape to spin opponent around and Forward Smash, I've seen him do it



8 comments:

  1. 2nd time training him after resetting him and despite not using down smash for anything on his training he still got in the habit of doing it, regardless of that yeah he is a beast to work with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are hard coded into the amiibos and you can't avoid them using it. I've had issues in the past with Mario spamming down smash. He does this because it's quick and easy to catch opponents off guard with. Amiibos like to abuse moves that are hard to punish, so the more he lands that down smash, the more he's going to use it. Sadly this is just how amiibos do things. :/ It's best to just avoid moves you don't like them using, because even though they are going to use it anyway, they wont use it nearly as often. Also, focus on his other options, make sure he he is well rounded in his kill/attack options and typically the amiibo won't become spammy.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to see Mario elevated to Overpowered tier. Everything you mention here is correct, and I suppose I've been lucky in the fact that mine doesn't seem to SD very often at all. Since I'm so awful at actually connecting with FAir, I've only recently begun training him to (carefully) follow someone offstage and meteor them. The first time he did it to me (which was the very next match after I taught him), I found myself swearing at a plastic figurine. My Mario's absolute favorite combo is to Cape someone and then FSmash them in the spine. :3

    On an unrelated topic, have you thought of starting a new section of specialized training stages for Amiibo in regards to working on specific skills? That seems to be a fledgling idea at the moment and it'd be fun to see it highlighted here. (Especially with a stage now known to freeze Amiibo in place so you can teach them true combos and meteors without them fighting back)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SD thing seems to be a thing of the past, though in FFA matches, he's much more vulnerable to get knocked out of a jump and die because of it. This is why I feel he isn't as strong as others in those match types. But his ability to dominate 1v1's, help train other amiibos on their reflexes and being so easy to train is what really makes him stand out. He's an all around asset to me and idk what I'd do if I didn't have him to help with my newer amiibos.

      I really don't have specific stages I train on, but in my Facts and Theories blog I do go over in the "Problems" section which stages are really bad for amiibos that you should just turn off or avoid all together. If you want to make things fair and not have them drop stocks for stupid reasons. The AI doesn't interact well with some stages, but I don't really think there are specific stages that stand out for training other than custom ones. I personally haven't used any of the custom stages so I'm not really an expert, though I have heard about them.

      Thanks for your suggestions and support! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. Although my Mario amiibo isn't the best one (But definitely one of the "Better" own of mine), I found him AI to be VERY good and easy to train too. I tried so hard to teach him to Down Throw > Explosive Super Jump, but he rarely does it, until one day I was playing FFA with my friend (and him), and he used this combo to kill me. For me he's a good all-around amiibo whenever it's FFA or 1v1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Just read your guide(as well as some of the builds for each amiibo) and I just wanted to say thanks to you, I learned how to properly train my fighters to the best of their ability. I do have one problem with my Mario though, and have noticed that no matter how I train him, whether with my competitive friends, casuals, three or more level 9 clones, or what have you, his go to is, when equipped, to jump off the side of the screen, use his electric cape, then has issues getting back up due to attack animation ending too late. Ever had this issue?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update: I raised a vanilla Mario, and he still does the same with the cape, even though its not an electric one, its starting to get a bit agitating, hope you see this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be better to just 1v1 lv 9 cpu him all the way to lv 50? Or is it better to manually train him?

    ReplyDelete