Wednesday, July 15, 2015

YOSHI Amiibo Guide



YOSHI
AVERAGE TIER


Training Yoshi has been quite a learning experience for me. Yoshi had a problem with using eggs... a lot. It didn't matter if you trained him not to use them at all, we trained him 3 times and watched a lot of videos online of Yoshi's and all of them were egg sniper machines. Luckily it seems the creators have finally patched this and Yoshi doesn't prioritize eggs nearly as much. He goes for combos and grabs much more often which is great! The first few times I trained Yoshi he did nothing but spam eggs but I did find a method that worked even before the egg spam was patched. I trained Yoshi with my self training method of training them to 12, and letting him fight same level amiibo to 50 to ensure he doesn't land the eggs as much. This included multiman smash, item matches and 1v1s and he turned out much better than training him only in 1v1s myself. I'm still a little skeptical of this amiibo though because of how hard it was to get him into a good spot in the past. I'm worried that if you dumpster this amiibo in 1v1s he will become an ultra passive egg sniping machine or just extremely passive in general. But since the patch I'm not sure if this is a problem for trainers anymore. The upsides to Yoshi include his durability playing a huge factor, he is one of the few amiibos I've seen often times hovering at 200% before getting K.Oed. He also is pretty good at punishing defensive amiibos with his egg tossing and long ranged grab, constantly grabbing them out of their shields. I think his biggest strength is his neutral b egg combos. This amiibo will 100% smash attack or combo off of egged targets. That is a strength no other amiibo possesses. You may have to be more careful with this amiibo than others because he has a history of being very easy to mess up. Since my retraining method, my Yoshi scored 15th in a tournament out of 32. I was definitely shocked and happy to see him do so much better. Typically he would hover towards the bottom of the pack. But since the patch, I've seen him take games off top tier amiibos like Little Mac and Mario. I have my eye on him currently to watch his progress, I moved him up to Average Tier but he may be even higher if he continues to show promise.

PROS:
  • Heavy for a fast Character
  • Pin Point Precision with Eggs
  • Great Aerials
  • Great in Free For Alls/Team Matches
  • Command Grab
  • True Combo at low percents
  • Durable and Difficult to Finish Off
CONS:
  • Struggles to finish stocks
  • Slow smash attacks, hard to land
  • Can become very spammy to the point of needing a reset
  • No Kill Throw
TRAINING MUSTS:
  • Use eggs at range but do not spam them, don't get hit by eggs when training. I suggest training him vs amiibos at later stocks so this doesn't happen.
  • Utilize all aerials, especially his neutral air and down air. He will use up air when he can but not nearly as much, show him he can kill with these
  • Use his neutral B to egg at low percents and up smash for free damage
  • Teach him to egg over the ledge at high percents if you can, he will learn to do this
  • Utilize all smash attacks and show him he can kill with them
  • Once again, avoid using eggs a lot, they will ruin the amiibo
  • Do not dumpster him, allow him to land some of the combos you teach on you if you are training him yourself, otherwise prepare to get egged to death
  • Try to teach him to shield an attack into up smash for a kill if you can
  • If you use his b moves, all of them need to be used sparingly, he can get into a habit of spamming any of them
  • Teach him to True Combo Up Tilt into Up Air at lower percents


11 comments:

  1. when i trained my yoshi he tended to use eggs from levels 15-30. to the point of spamming i mirror matched him from levels 1-30. i made sure he landed 3 eggs on me now he is an aerial and down smash monster. Who uses eggs sparingly only to cover his recovery or as part of a combo. up tilt at 100% egg down air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they may have actually nerfed his egg precision so he doesn't become as spammy. I've noticed his aim isn't nearly as good as it was when the amiibo came out. What's your Yoshi's win percentage?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. if is 1v1s he has a 30% win rate against my top 3 4-11 would be around 50% 11-20 would be around 60% (with the exception of robin) and a solid 70 for the rest 20-31

      Delete
    2. I was just curious of his win rate in general. I think he does ok in ffa/teams but his 1v1s are weak. My results are pretty similar to yours. I feel like Yoshi has had some fixes from Nintendo but his kill potential is still really weak. Sadly he doesn't prioritize a lot of the moves that make Yoshi a great character in Smash.

      Delete
  3. i would say. i think the update is better for yoshi it forces yoshi to do diffrent things.
    i had a similar problem with my pikachu i put on a diffrent custom for his thunder and he became heavily dependent on it along with his neutral b and up b in fact i 1v1d him and thats all he used he didnt use 1 a move that entire match i took it off of him and next match my pikachu did thunder realized that his new thunder sucks and stood there half the match i felt bad because he completely forgot he had A moves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Pikachu has major spam issues which makes him difficult to train. I used to consider him strong but since I always have issues with him eventually spamming down b, I had to move him down.

      Delete
  4. the trick with pikachu is short hop nairs and edge guarding with back air pikachu uses thunder because it works and he can land it therefore he thinks every pressure situation has to be thunderd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agreed. It was a pain in the ass to make my Yoshi amiibo stop spamming eggs, but after that he ended up as a pretty nice aggresive amiibo, but he like to spam Down-air, but it rack up damage quickly so I don't mind it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, my Yoshi is the worst out of my friend and I's amiibos (and we have thirty-eight!) I've retrained him four times now and he's still garbage! Do you think taking him into reflect smash to punish his egg throwing habit will help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to really counter egg spamming is to not get hit by them often. It's harder I think for a human opponent to counter that habit, I'd suggest putting him against a quick amiibo who can easily dodge his eggs. Typically if they can't land them as often, they will stop using the bad habit as much and it forces them into using other options.

      Delete