Monday, July 13, 2015

KIRBY Amiibo Guide



KIRBY
AVERAGE TIER


This amiibo has frustrated the hell out of me. For me personally I play a lot of Kirby, I know his combos and I know what to do to make this amiibo good. For most of the leveling process Kirby would do what I wanted him to do, but I did run across a major flaw. Kirby's neutral b isn't really counterable because it's a command grab, which means it's something he loves to spam if he can't land anything else. This is why I urge you not to train this amiibo in a 1v1 dumpster fest. His neutral b can become a serious issue, even if you don't use it when you train him. I feel because he lands the suck in portion of the neutral b he then starts spamming w/e skill he gets in turn and he will use this skill even if you don't train him to use it. My Kirby broke fighting Marth. He sucked him in, got the shield breaker and started spamming it after killing him with it. In some cases like when he's matched vs DK or Yoshi, this spam of neutral b just ended up getting him punished, because he's not getting anything out of it. A charged punch and a slow command grab that is easily dodged means Kirby just stands there and gets destroyed. A solution to this is to change his neutral b to Ice Breath if this becomes an issue for you. The problem is if he's already spamming neutral b, he's gonna just spam ice breath until he gets punished for it over and over and that takes a while. I love Kirby but he is sooo annoying to train. He's a much better amiibo now but it was a long journey. I've since retrained Kirby using a self training method, I trained him to lvl 15 myself and pitted him against other amiibo all the way to 50. He uses his neutral b but actually uses it well and doesn't spam it. Training him normally def works, but this is the third time I've trained him and there is still a chance he could mess up again. I think you have to let him learn for himself to make sure he knows other options he can fight effectively with. If you dumpster him, I feel there is a chance of him turning very passive and spamming his neutral b. Positives of Kirby include his floatiness, great combos and he has some pretty good b moves. He can gimp very easily and rack up a lot of damage with the right training. Honestly, Kirby has a lot of potential if you do it right, but it can also go very wrong as well.

PROS:
  • True Combos with Back Throw
  • Great Aerials
  • Great Smash Attacks
  • Floaty and Evasive
  • Kill Throw
  • Small Stature Can Be An Advantage
CONS:
  • Neutral B can completely break this amiibo
  • Doesn't have many ranged options
  • May Struggle vs Heavies/Rangey Opponents 

TRAINING MUSTS:


  • Grab often and pummel grabs, this is very important on Kirby
  • Avoid Neutral B like the plague
  • Teach him to Back Throw into Back Air at low percents
  • Also teach him to Forward Throw into Forward Air at low percents
  • He reads with Side B on occasion, worth teaching him
  • Up B is his only move with distance so it's worth teaching, just don't over use it
  • Kirby will almost never use his Down B so don't bother with it and when he does he will have difficulty landing it
  • Utilize all aerials
  • Utilize all smash attacks and show him he can kill with them
  • If you want to train your amiibos to Gimp, he's a safe option and his down air will meteor spike, not required though
  • If he gets stuck spamming his Side B, I suggest resetting him, he has potential to be good but that will ruin him, he prioritizes it too much
  • Back air will kill and Forward air can kill off stage
  • Up Throw will kill at very high percents, teach him to do this
  • Be careful when training him because if you are beating him too hard he will become very evasive, you need to let him land combos on you.

5 comments:

  1. Nice guide. By the way, I just wanna say that I was the guy that commented some things on Charizard, Dark Pit, and the training method asking what do.

    I also think you should add how Forward Throw to Forward Air now combos because of the recent patch. It's really good on my Kirby amiibo. He learned this as well as the Back Throw to Back Air combo you provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, I added it, thanks for your input. I appreciate you pointing out things I may have missed or looked over. Helps me to make my guides better.

      Thanks for the support! :)

      Delete
  2. My Kirby amiibo is passive and defensive. He's not bad but it's frustrating to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I give it Grounding Stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh, I really don't play around with customs, since the majority of people are going to leave them as is, I try to appeal to a wider audience. I'm sure there are a lot of customs that could improve an amiibo's effectiveness.

      Delete